There is always a way to tell if a diamond is real. After all, those who have ever bought diamond jewelry are inevitably lost in doubts about the origin of an expensive stone. Fake jewels have been around since the dawn of time. But every single one of them is a bit different.
To examine a stone on your own or with the help of a specialist means to guarantee a good purchase without any cheating. You can use some simple tricks to make sure of the authenticity of a single diamond, or a diamond set in a jewelry setting. Why diamonds for engagement rings? Because it is the best proof of your feelings.
Check your diamond at home – top 11 ways to do it
Water, air, fire and a healthy skepticism like the legendary elements will help distinguish a real diamond. It’s much easier to examine an individual stone, but for set gems, there are ways to quickly check, too. When you decide when to buy engagement rings, you should carefully evaluate the options available. After all, you will need to use our tips when choosing to avoid mistakes.
- A visual inspection is the first step in determining the authenticity of a treated diamond. The crystal edges should be clear, sharp, without rounded corners, scuffs, chips. These defects are quite characteristic of the soft stones that are passed off as gem-quality diamonds.
- You may notice dark spots, inclusions, and dots under a magnifying glass. This is a normal condition of the precious stone. The peculiarities of natural origin do not exclude color and crystal structure distortions. Artificially synthesized minerals will appear perfectly clear. The presence of elongated channels does not speak in favor of the specimen as well. But this kind of test requires a certain amount of experience in gemology.
- The play of light in a diamond deserves special attention. It does not have the typical birefringence of rays, but some of its artificial counterparts do. The overly bright iridescent shine is also a sign of a cheap knockoff. If you choose a ring with a real diamond, then you are unlikely to have to ask how to wear wedding and engagement rings together.
- How to check the diamond when it is set in the jewelry? When the bottom facet is not covered with metal, you should put it to the printed text. A real stone will not let you read the text, remaining opaque and grayish. For rings and earrings, it is also possible to check whether the human skin shines through the gem when the piece is worn.
- Due to the properties of thermal conductivity, diamonds resist heat for a long time. If you squeeze the stone in your hand, it will not warm up at once.
- Contrary to popular advice, treated diamonds are visible when immersed in water. But this is a good way to figure out the duplets. In water, the boundary between the glued stones stands out very clearly, no matter what quality compound the crooks used.
- Smooth diamond facets do not hold liquids. That is why you may try to breathe on the stone and observe the evaporation. If this method seems to be unreliable, it is better to put a drop of cooking oil on the surface of the stone. After this treatment, the stone is able to hold on to the glass, but the synthetic analogs are not.
- Real diamonds are invisible under X-rays. If there is a chance, one may check it in the appropriate laboratories.
- Weight. A natural stone is, at the same size, a lot lighter than an artificial fianite. This can be checked on a precision scale.
- If you plan to buy a lot of diamonds, make sure that you are as secure as possible. Get a Diamond tester, a special handheld device that quickly and efficiently determines the authenticity of jewelry. The only restriction is the size of the analyzed stones should not exceed one carat.
- An interesting test can be carried out using improvised means. Prepare a white sheet of paper, a plastic lid, some water, and a flashlight. The lid is filled with water and the stone inside is placed on the paper. In a bright light, a reflection of the facets of the stone will show through the plastic. The facets of a diamond resemble the flame of a gas burner.
What not to do when testing a diamond
Whatever tricks are used, it is realistic to check the authenticity of a diamond at home. But not every method is reliable and safe for the jewelry. It takes a careful, responsible approach. It is highly discouraged to hit the suspected diamond with a heavy object, or try to cut the glass with it. Yes, the natural stone is fantastically hard, but it might split on a sharp blow. This warning also applies to sandpaper, as it may contain industrial diamonds and will damage any gemstone.
Also, hydrochloric acid is not one of the affordable test methods, as it is not safe. Heating with an open flame of a match or lighter will reveal only some varieties of cheap stones. The best choice is to buy your stone from a trusted, reliable store. For example, you can use https://luxurydiamonds.ca/pages/engagement-rings. Here you will find jewelry with real diamonds.